Monday, June 16, 2008

Pirates on the Salt River....And a snake.

Saturday I  headed to the Salt River Tubing outpost in the Tonto National Forest for Pirates on the Salt River day....The idea was to get people out on the river dressed as pirates, but when I got there only the employees were dressed up....

Here you have one of the bus drivers, Pirate Betty, honking a horn and calling out to tubers to get on her pirate ship.
After about an hour I finally hit pay dirt... This fun group did it up right.  They flew a pirate flag and even had pirate hats, swords, bandanas with skulls and crossbones, and eye patches.


While I was walking around near the river I noticed a snake swimming upstream just off shore...I love snakes, so I got in close and got a few shots.  I did some research once I got home (www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.html). It turns out this little guy is a checkered gartersnake.

I didn't want any of the tubers messing with him so I chased him off into the river and followed him a bit until he was safely in some bushes growing out of the river bank.


2 comments:

ANDREA BLOOM said...

Love the pirate lady! Great shot. And you won't see me with any wild snake pictures with a 3-400!

Ashley Lowery said...

You made a really nice picture of that pirate lady. And you said your not shooting much photojournalism lately :)