Friday, July 25, 2008

Lightning!!!....Finally!

I have had the WORST time capturing lightning this season...I thought for a while that God didn't like me, or maybe he/she/it was just messing with me because I would spend hours at a time chasing, setting up, and waiting for lightning the past couple of weeks whenever I could find time. I would leave the shutter open for 20-30 seconds and just as it would close lightning would strike. It happened repeatedly, and I almost pulled my hair out.

I set up on the 4th floor outdoor stairwell next to a new hospital in Mesa to get this shot...The same thing kept happening where I would just miss a strike after a full 30-second exposure. And when I finally did capture some lightning, a MedEvac helicopter was landing just then and left a streak through the frame from its flashing lights. I was just going to give up because the lightning was getting more and more infrequent when this baby lit up the sky...What a pain in the ass! (Click to Enlarge)

5 comments:

Ashley Lowery said...

Yay You! You got your lightning shot!

Bettina Hansen said...

that looks spectacular! I have to get better about dragging my ass out there when I see it because I almost headed out last night and wimped out. I will think of this shot next time I say I am too tired.

Jeffrey Lowman said...

yay! you finally got a shot! i have to say this is my favorite time of the year just so I can go out every night and see what I can get. The 24th was my special night and I got very lucky. Its always great to get out there keep going!

Courtney said...

Awesome Ryan! This is a very nice shot. I've been thinking about getting a lightning bug shot since Spring sprung in Iowa and haven't done it yet. I'm running out of time! ahhhh

Unknown said...

That's so funny, because it's so familiar. I haven't caught any lightening yet this year. I hear the shutter close, and then it strikes!